Sunday, December 7, 2008

"The Day the Music Died"

They played La Bamba on MyTv 20 today... It was nice to see it... watching movies like That Thing You Do and such always gets me thinking and makes me feel...not so much happy, but whole... and so I thought about this movie intently, especially after realizing the mention that Buddy Holly, one of my favorite musicians, as well as The Big Bopper, died along with Ritchie Valens, and wondered about how the world must have felt that day...another plane crash took place with civilians, so it was kind of overshadowed...but nowadays, we lose one semi-popular musician and are saddened for a long time to be...Imagine losing three... and it made me wonder about Donna, Ritchie's girlfriend..and what happened to her, seeing her slink into her chair while still a high schooler, hearing that the high school sweetheart she would marry (in a time when such things happened), had just died. She is the one that the song "Oh Donna" is written for, just as "Peggy Sue" was a real person as well. They all died so young but their music is still popular and influenced a whole generation... But they left behind these people, who we know somewhat through the influence popular songs, but through personal means...

And I'm rambling...

So, long story short,

I looked it up, and found a video, of the two girlfriends. And I guess it makes clear two popular sayings that need to be experienced to be understood...

"Life goes on" but "Memories last a lifetime".


No comments: